NSW khanacross heads for the hills

Tuesday 30 June, 2020
Photos: Teddy Webber
The Hills District Car Club has held its first khanacross event in more than five months, as 37 competitors attended the Hills Motorsport Park for the New South Wales based club’s grand return.
With the competitors completing eight tests across the day, there was a clear standout performer at the conclusion of the event with Bill Brown winning all eight tests.

His biggest challenge came from eventual runner-up Jason King, but there wasn’t much the Datsun 1600 driver could do to catch Brown, with his closest test being in the sixth where he came within five seconds of the leader.

Two Subaru Impreza drivers occupied the next two places with David Catt just edging out Robert Dean for the final spot on the podium, while Stephanie Brown ended the day in the top five.
Remarkably, Stephanie just held onto fifth ahead of Mick King by less than half of second in the outright timings. King was faster on all but three tests, which ultimately proved to be the major difference between the two.
Jason King may have missed out the victory, but his son Jayden had his own piece of silverware after posting the fastest time out of the juniors, as well as placing 21st outright.

Following on from the event, club representative Shane O’Hara was proud of the way the club ran the event and lauded all the competitors for making a successful day.

“The event went really well. The roads were beautiful, we had a good number of starters and there were no major incidents or crashes,” O’Hara said.
“Bill Brown was very quick in that buggy all day, but Jason King was right on his tail, so we had some good competition too, which is always nice to see. 
“It was a perfect day because we had a good roll up of cars and there were plenty of people wanting to have a run. Everyone was in a good mood and super excited because it was the first event since February. 
“We didn’t have to do too much different to our usual khanacrosses apart from making sure everyone was social distancing, all entries were done electronically beforehand and the drivers’ briefing done over the PA system. Overall it all worked really well. 
“We have a motorkhana in July, so we are looking to run it the same way we did on the weekend, which seemed pretty successful.”