Rare piece of Australian motorsport brought back to life
Wednesday 18 November, 2020
Marcos Ambrose's former NASCAR winning Ford Fusion is up for sale.
A significant piece of Australian motor racing history has made its way onto the track for the first time after nearly a decade in hibernation.
The Ford Fusion NASCAR, which Marcos Ambrose drove to his first ever win in the United States’ competition, was relaunched back onto a racetrack for the first time today since it claimed victory at Watkins Glen in 2008.
Dunlop Super2 Series regular Brodie Kostecki, who previously competed in NASCAR competition himself, was assigned with the task of driving the machine and really enjoyed the experience.
“That was a blast,” Kostecki said.
“You forget just how loud and cool these cars really are.
“I have driven similar cars in the past, but to be given the keys today to a car with such incredible history is something pretty special.”
The car’s current owner, Ambrose’s former Media Manager Brett Murray, was on hand to witness Kostecki do laps and was pleased with what he saw.
“It was incredible to see the car out there today in the hands of Brodie,” Murray said.
“The way it looks, the way it sounds, it all just brought back so many memories of that inaugural victory from Marcos’ more than 12 years ago.”
The car, which has been put up for sale through leading auction house Lloyds Auctions, has already attracted so much interest and Kostecki believed its next owner would be very lucky.
“Whoever buys this rig is going to be getting a pure race car with a pedigree that can be matched by no other car,” Kostecki added.
“There will only ever be one car that was taken to NASCAR victory lane by an Australian for the first time and this is it.”
Prospective buyers will have until 7pm AEDT on 28 November to place their bids, with the current bid at the time of publishing reaching $220,000.
Click here for more information.