Mostert win rockets him to Supercars lead

Sunday 06 March, 2022
Photos: Edge Photographics
The second race of the 2022 Repco Supercars Championship witnessed a dramatic conclusion with Chaz Mostert securing a victory in what were challenging conditions.
All throughout the 77-lap race, there was a prospect of rain and when it arrived in the last 10 laps, the drivers battled it out in slippery conditions.
Mostert proved too good in the wet, crossing the finish line first, two and half seconds ahead of polesitter Brodie Kostecki.
It was a fantastic performance from the Walkinshaw Andretti United star, who started the race from seventh before eventually picking up the lead, courtesy of his stint on super soft tyres in the final third of the race.
Despite a late safety car intervention, Mostert did what he had to do to hold onto the win after having the perfect restart, holding off Kostecki early and pushing the lead out almost three seconds in just four laps. 
A combination of a risky strategy paying off and class driving throughout the race helped Mostert secure the win and the outright championship lead for the first time in his career. 

Picking up third place in the race, along with consecutive podiums, was Anton De Pasquale. The Ford driver had the lead early after a strong start off the line but could not regain it again despite strong pace. 
Click here to view the full results from race two.
There was plenty of drama in what was an epic return to racing.
The major talking point ahead of the race was reigning champion Shane van Gisbergen having a forgettable qualifying, where he qualified for race two in P23.
His race went from bad to worse in the early stages when he slid off the track, before falling almost one and half laps behind the leading car.
However, with multiple safety car interventions, van Gisbergen made up 17 positions to finish the race in sixth behind Cam Waters and Andre Heimgartner in what was an impressive recovery.
Jack Le Brocq was also in the thick of the action in the final stint of the race as Matt Stone Racing chose to keep him out on slicks when the rain fell hoping to hold on to the lead.
The decision elevated the 29-year-old to the front of the field as many of the others pitted with just 10 laps to go, however it was only a matter of time before he lost his place to the fast charging front pack just four laps later.
Not long after the front few drivers passed him, he ended up speering off the track and forcing Race Control to bring out the final safety car period.
The Repco Supercars Championship resumes with the NED Whisky Tasmania SuperSprint at Symmons Plains in Tasmania on 26-28 March.
Motorsport Australia App

Download the Motorsport Australia App

Motorsport Australia: Return to Race